As we enter 2014 and are leaving 2013 behind, think of this as a new beginning. Life throws all of us a curve ball when we least expect it. I came across an article in my reading that really stuck with me. It’s about staying mentally strong. Keeping your mind mentally strong can help you deal with almost anything in life.
Mentally Strong People: 13 Things They Avoid
1. We all have issues in our lives that are challenging. But try not to feel sorry for yourself. All it will do is bring you down and not help the situation. Focus on something positive and let that positive thought bring you up.
2. Give Away Their Power. You and only you are in control of your thoughts and your strengths. Do not give others the ability to bring you down.
3. Shy Away from Change. Mentally strong people embrace change and welcome it. Do not be afraid of the unknown.
4. Waste Energy on Things They Can't Control. Things that are beyond your control happen everyday in everyone's life. Let them go. If you can't control it don’t waste your good energy on it.
5. Worry About Pleasing Others. Always be kind and fair. Please others when appropriate. And don't be afraid to speak up when needed.
6. Fear Taking Calculated Risks. Stop, think and then decide. Don't be afraid of risks. Just think first.
7. Dwell On the Past. Learn from the past. Let the past help you with the future. But don't dwell on the past.
8. Make the Same Mistake Over and Over. Break the cycle. Stop. Get off. Change.
9. Resent Other People's Success. It takes strength of character to feel genuine joy and excitement for another person’s success. Mentally strong people have this ability.
10. Give Up After Failure. Every failure is a chance to improve and learn. Don't let failure stop you from reaching your goal.
11. Fear Alone Time. Being alone is okay. It is even good. Get to know you. The real you. After all, you are at your best when you can reflect and plan.
12. Feel the World Owes them Anything. The world owes you nothing. Everything you have you have to work for. Things worth having are worth working for.
13. Expect Immediate Results. Nothing happens overnight. And if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Take it slow and enjoy the ride.